
I received my plane ticket in the mail today. It still doesn't feel like I'm leaving on Sunday, but looking at that ticket and my half-packed luggage should set in eventually. Or maybe it won't really hit me until I'm not hearing those flat midwestern accents around me all the time, save for when I'm speaking.
I'm still trying to figure out how to pack for England. With the dollar as weak as it is, I wish I could just pack up my whole room and not worry about having to buy anything but food over there. But airplanes have cargo space limitations, and I only have so much upper-body strength. It's all rather disheartening to me when I discover myself holding a pair of shoes, trying to reason out if I'll wear them or not in the next 4 months. It will be worse if I arrive in England to find that I've packed those unnecessary red shoes but have forgotten to pack a toothbrush, especially if I have no shirts that match the red shoes. This is also why I find life to be far more troubling in a feminine mindset.
Packing is a little more than shirts, shoes and toothbrushes, though. It's more the task of fitting your life into a very small space. The security people who go through my bags at the airport are going to learn everything there is to know about me: from learning my size to questioning why I packed so many books yet forgot deodorant. (They clearly have a stalker's dream job.)
I wish I had Mary Poppins's handbag. I also wish I had the Tetris soundtrack to go along with this daunting task.
Lisa:
ReplyDeleteUncle Cliff's advice on packing:
1. Lay out everything you plan to take.
2. Put back half of it and take twice as much money.
Good Luck!
Have you discovered that you forgot anything important yet?
ReplyDelete