14.2.08

Short Paragraphs on Paris


It turned out that the black woman on the metro was NOT talking to me. I'm just a little too unsuspecting to Lee's witty, witty jokes. Needless to say, the woman wasn't speaking French, English or any other language this side of Europe. 

I took two trains from Leicester to Paris. One had a girl trying to go on a diet whilst eating crisps for an hour straight; the other, an englishman attempting French. I spent those few hours staring at sheep. They're fluffier here.

I'm not Catholic, but I was allowed to go to the Notre Dame all the same. There are a couple of pictures of it on Flickr, but most turned out fuzzy because I'm anti-camera flash. It burns my eyes. 

Lee lives in the southern part of Paris in an incredibly french apartment - as in, the toilet is special enough to have its own room apart from the rest of the bathroom. He's just reprimanded me for sharing his toilet with the internet community. He also makes fun of my accent - for good reason, of course. But at least I pronounce every letter in "shower". What's a "shar"? 

Weather here has been much better than Ohio's: very sunny, rather warm. I's nice to be missing those snowstorms this winter. It's even better knowing that breathing the air outside isn't going to make my lungs freeze. 

The typical tourist things were covered, and we ate baguettes. The biggest accomplishment was me managing to fall both up and down at the same time. Escalators are fun.

Lee's landlady dropped by whilst he was out getting food. She doesn't speak much English; I don't speak French. We got along rather well.

I did not see Oscar this time around. He was a bit too busy, being dead and all. Apparently dead people only function from 9-5 as well. 

Starbucks is the same, except in French. Gatorade does not exist, possibly due to the lack of wild alligators. There's a lot more cheese here, too. Most notably, McDonald's restaurants don't look like slums. They even have bouncers at night. That's probably why french people aren't fat.

When there aren't any strikes going on, the transport system is very efficient - cleaner than the ones in New York and they're able to squeeze more people on (due to lack of obesity). 

An important lesson learned: get to the Eurostar station at least 20 minutes before your train is boarding - otherwise you get to run through the station with a bag that's bouncing and mutilating the back of your leg.

It was a really good week in Paris. I miss it already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment